I don’t know about you, but in my household we often eat breakfast for dinner. We always find ourselves eating the usual cheese grits, eggs (scrambled hard), bacon, sausage, and muffins. Don’t get me wrong, I love our breakfast menu BUT I must say that I love changing it up sometimes.
So, it came to me when I was staring at this HUGE honeycrisp apple in our fridge. This big guy had been left out of our apple cobbler the week prior and was the last one standing. I couldn’t NOT eat him, I mean, honeycrisp apples cost too much and are too tasty to rot away. He had to be eaten and what better way than to make an apple tart!
From this one apple, I managed to get two apples worth of slices.
After thawing the puff pastry for a few minutes, I spread the apple butter mixture over it and assembled the apple slices.
While the tart was cooking, the entire house smelled of apple cinnamon!
My whole family enjoyed this new addition to our breakfast for dinner menu. What do you like cooking for breakfast?
- 1 thawed sheet of puff pastry
- 1 large (2 med) thinly peeled, sliced, & cored apple
- 4 Tbsp apple butter
- 1 Tbsp butter (melted)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ~1 Tbsp raw sugar
- Remove one sheet of puff pastry from freezer to thaw for about 8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll puff pastry on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- In small bowl, mix together apple butter, butter, and brown sugar. With pastry brush, brush half of the apple butter mixture on puff pastry leaving an inch bare on the edges of the puff pastry.
- Assemble apple slices in two rows. Brush remaining apple butter mixture on top of apple slices. Sprinkle raw sugar over apple slices.
- Bake in oven for 15-17 min. Remove when pastry turns golden brown.
- Serve with breakfast or a scoop of ice cream.