These banana cupcakes are so delicious that they will make you want to slap your mama! Well, not really but who knows, you may not be able to contain the urge :). I truly have a weakness for banana desserts (let’s face it, maybe all desserts) and these cupcakes are no different especially when combined with my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe.
I don’t normally buy bananas because my toddler and I are the only ones in the house that eat them and we feel that they attract unwanted fruit flies but after making a banana pudding and having a few left over, I thought it would be a great idea to make banana cupcakes for my son’s class.
Because no one likes an overly energetic toddler, let alone 30 overly energetic toddlers, I thought it would be wise to make mini cupcakes instead of regular ones. Thank God I did because I ate a good 6 before making it to his daycare. Before attempting to make tons of mini cupcakes, be sure to have a least 2 mini cupcake pans. It was no fun making these little boogers having to keep rotating out the baked cupcakes with new liners. Save yourself the time and headache and invest in at least two.
I was so excited while making these that I attempted to record the process and edit it to add to this post. This failed miserably, so much so, that I refuse to upload it. It shall remain in my lessons learned folder, never to see the lights of the internet. But like I said I was extremely excited to share these with my son’s class only to find out that they were not allowed to serve the kids home baked goods. It was perfectly fine to package them up and send them home with the children or buy store bought desserts but I guess after thinking about it, it made sense.
This was a good and a bad thing all in one. The good part is that I got to take home tons of cupcakes but the bad part was that I would have to eat them all or throw them away. Because I just hate wasting food, I took the challenge of eating them all over the course of a few days. I only shared 3 with my son.
- 1 cup mashed & ripe bananas (approx 2 bananas)
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- cream cheese frosting
- handful of banana chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees and line cupcake tins with liners.
- In a small bowl, stir together bananas & lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, & salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract & eggs adding each egg one at a time.
- Add banana mixture & mix until well combined. Alternating the flour mixture with the buttermilk, add to batter making sure to end with the flour mixture (flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour).
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for about 40-45 mins out until inserted toothpicks comes out clean.
- Once completed, allow to cool and frost with cream cheese frosting. Top with a banana chip.
- Make 36 regular sized cupcakes and 72 mini cupcakes