Coconut has slowly become one of my favorite ingredients for desserts. This cake is beyond amazing and will forever be in my “Favorites” recipe book.
There’s nothing like the way this light and fluffy coconut cake is paired with a rich and creamy coconut cream cheese frosting topped off with a combination of sweetened and toasted sweetened coconut flakes.
Once you make this combination, you will be in love! It’s great for any occasion or holiday. I know I will be making this beauty for Thanksgiving!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (room temp)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla ext
- 1 tsp coconut ext (flavor)
- 1 1/3 cups canned coconut milk (shaken well)
- 6 large eggs separated at room temp (2 egg yolks, 6 egg whites needed)
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
- coconut cream cheese frosting
- 2 cups coconut flakes (1 cup toasted)
- Grease 3 9-inch cake pans and preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift cake flour and baking powder. Add salt and whisk well.
- In a mixer (or large mixing bowl with hand mixer) on medium speed, cream together sugar, butter, and canola oil. Add extracts and mix well. Add egg yolks one at a time and mix until just combined making sure not to over mix.
- Next alternate adding dry ingredients and coconut milk beginning and ending with the dry ingredients (dry ingredients, milk, dry ingredients, milk, dry ingredients). Scrape sides and bottom and mix.
- In a separate bowl, add egg whites and whip on med-high until peak begins to form. Add cream of tartar and continue to whip until stiff peak forms. Do not let the egg whites dry out. Carefully fold egg whites in thirds into cake batter. Do not over mix!
- Divide batter evenly between cake mans and bake for 20-22 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool. Frost cake with coconut cream cheese and top with coconut (half toasted, half not toasted).
- 2 8oz pkgs of cream cheese (16oz total)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp coconut extract (flavor)
- 6 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in extract and slowly mix in powdered sugar until frosting is fluffy and well combined.
- Top with 2 cups of coconut (half toasted).