If you love lemons, this recipe is for you! It is a creamy cheesecake with a lemon cookie crust and a tangy lemon curd topping. This can be made into a whole cheesecake but since I am giving these away as gifts, I figured, being the southern girl that I am, why not put them in mason jars.
I recently met with my husband and his co-workers for lunch and one of the topics of discussion was how amazingly tasty the lemon Oreos are and how good the cheesecake was at the restaurant we were dining at. Since we had no idea what to get them, but knew they loved sweets, I decided to combine the two. I mean, no one can turn away an Oreo crust, no matter the flavor!
The cheesecakes in the mason jars were cute as is ,but I decided to add ribbon and wrapping paper to make them even more adorable.
All I did was draw a 6 inch round circle on the paper of my choosing and cut it out. I placed the paper on top of the lid and put the ring over it. Adding a ribbon finished the gift off.
These were AMAZING, but I could be bias because I love lemon as well 🙂
- 1 pkg lemon Oreo cookies
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 4 wide topped 16oz mason jars
- 2 8oz pkgs cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (~2-3 lemons juiced)
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray mason jars with nonstick spray.
- Grind cookies in blender (with filling) until mixture resembles a very thick cookie dough. Mix or blend in melted butter and press in to the bottom (and a little on the sides) of the mason jars. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place jars in a roasting pan filled with about an inch of water and set aside.
- Cut each cream cheese block into 8 cubes and mix with blender for about 15 seconds. Add sugar and cream with cream cheese until mixture is smooth making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs in one at a time and mix. Add salt and vanilla extract and mix for another 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly, mix in sour cream and whipping cream until well combined. Evenly distribute cream cheese mixture in to your mason jars. Bake, while still in roasting pan, for 45-50 minutes.
- Once cheesecakes are done baking, turn off oven and crack open the door. Leave cheesecakes in oven for another 20 minutes while oven is cooling.
- Remove from oven and roasting pan and allow to continue cooling. Once cheesecakes are room temperature, cover and refrigerate.
- In a double broiler with simmering water, or glass bowl over saucepan with simmering water, whisk together egg yolks and sugar. Mix in lemon juice and lemon zest. Continue to stir over water until mixture begins to thicken (about 10 minutes). Mixture should coat the back of a scraper.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in butter 1 Tbsp at a time until each is melted. Transfer lemon curd to a clean container and cover with plastic.
- Refrigerate for 2 1/2 hours. Once curd is cold, stir and add about 2-3 Tbsp over each cheesecake. Keep refrigerated.